Ingredients (10-12 pieces):
* 1 medium-sized sweet potato (about 2 cups of pulp). Sweet potatoes can be replaced with ordinary potatoes, but the taste will certainly be different, and it can also be replaced with pumpkin, or a mixture of pumpkin and potatoes, then the taste will be very close to sweet potatoes;)
2 cups whole wheat flour. It is this flour that you need exactly as much as the sweet potato occupies in volume. You will get 1 cup of pulp, so you will need 1 cup of flour. In addition, you can safely experiment with flour, replacing part of the wheat with barley, spelt, rye, etc.
* 1 tsp salt
* Optionally, you can add any spices to your taste (chili, turmeric, paprika, cumin, curry, etc.).
How to do:
1. bake sweet potatoes. First, carefully wash it, pierce it with a fork in several places so that it does not crack, wrap it in foil or spread it on parchment. Bake for 40-60 minutes at a temperature of 180C-200C in the standard mode “top-bottom”. The temperature and time depends on the oven. The readiness of sweet potatoes is determined by a knife, if it is easily pierced – everything is ready. Do not turn off the oven, but put it to warm up to the maximum.
2. let the fruit cool slightly, peel it, then chop it with a fork in a large bowl, adding salt and spices.
Important. Do not knead it for too long, grinding it into porridge. So the mass will be too starchy, like paste, and the cakes will turn out to be rubber, not soft.
3. in the crushed sweet potato, gradually add flour and mix the contents. I first put half of the flour, mix, and then add portions. Add until the dough stops sticking. It is important not to overdo it with flour, so that the cakes do not become too dry and hard in the end.
And again, do not knead too intensively, it is not necessary.
4. cover the dough hermetically and let it stand for 30 minutes, after proofing it will become tender and pliable to Rolling.
5. dust the surface with flour, spread the dough on it and roll it into a sausage. Cut in half, then each piece into 5-6 equal parts. The result is 10-12 identical pieces, well, or almost identical.
Roll each piece into a smooth ball, put it to rest for another 10-15 minutes under a towel. This item can be omitted if you are in a hurry.
6. each ball is first flattened by hand, then on the surface dusted with flour we roll out with a rolling pin about 3 mm thick. As thin as possible, as thick as you like.
We fold the cakes in a pile under the towel so that they do not zavetrel.
7. then spread a few tortillas on a baking sheet with parchment in 1 layer and bake until they are inflated and baked. It’s 5-10 minutes, depends on the oven. After each batch, peel the parchment from the fallen flour so that it does not burn and does not spoil the taste of the next tortillas. Or fry in a dry preheated frying pan on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
Put the finished cakes in a sealed container in a towel. It will keep them warm and soft.
They can be eaten with any dishes instead of bread, used as pita/Pita Bread for snacks with any fillings. Bon Appetit!