There are as many recipes for this salad as there are housewives preparing it. I will tell you about my favorite recipe.
- 1 large herring, in butchered form should be about 250g. I highly recommend buying a whole good tasty fish, and not canned pieces. But if you do not have such a herring anywhere at all, then you can replace it with another fatty low-salted fish or canned fish of good quality (as a maximum of salt and oil).
- 4 chicken eggs.
- Potatoes-2-3 pieces of medium size
- Beets-2-3 pieces of medium size
- Sweet and sour apple – 1 large or 1.5 small
- 1 large onion
- Mayonnaise. I really ask you to buy delicious or make it yourself. Unfortunately, a stupid Mazik can spoil the taste of even a very tasty salad.
How to do:
First, this salad should be prepared the day before serving. He needs time to brew and soak.
Second. For a salad, you will need either a cooking ring to spread everything in portions, or a deep salad bowl, or a flat plate. It is more convenient to put everything in the salad bowl, plus everything is better soaked there, but it is more difficult to get the salad when serving. With a plate, the opposite is true: it is more difficult to stack and shape the salad, and then it is more convenient to put it in plates. Choose what is closer to you.
So, how to cook it.
1. pickle onions (this is optional, but it will be much tastier, and the pungent smell of onions will not appear at all, only its juicy taste). Cut the onion into a small cube, put it in a colander, pour boiling water, let the water drain. Next, put it in an airtight container, add to it 2-3 tbsp.balsamic/Apple or wine vinegar, 1 tsp. sugar or Jerusalem artichoke syrup/agave, 0.5 tsp. salt. Stir, Close, leave aside while we prepare the rest of the ingredients. When we collect the salad, we again throw the onion into a colander and let the marinade drain.
2. cook eggs and potatoes in a uniform. Cool, clean. All the nuances of cooking described in the recipe salad Olivier (link HEREBy the way, I usually cook two dishes at the same time, so I cook just two salads at once.
3. in parallel I cook beets. Wash it, wrap it in foil and bake at 200C for about an hour. The baking time depends on the size of the root vegetables.
4. cut the herring, carefully remove all the bones. Cut into small cubes.
5. apples are washed and cleaned.
6. Collect salad. Layers: potatoes-Herring-onions-apples-eggs-beets.
All ingredients except herring and onions grate on a coarse grater. Each layer is lubricated with mayonnaise. Do not overdo it, a thin layer is enough.
Layers do not need to be salted. Enough Herring salt and sauce. Let the salad brew in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, preferably a day.